Professor Ella Arensman
Director of Research, National Suicide Research Foundation
Research Professor Department of Epidemiology of Public Health, University College Cork.
Dr Celine Larkin
Post-Doctoral Fellow, Department of Psychiatry, Department of Emergency Medicine,
University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, United States
Ms Jacklyn McCarthy
Researcher/Hospital Liaison Manager Self-Harm, National Suicide Research Foundation, University College Cork
Dr Sara Leitao
Senior Researcher / Primary Care Liaison Manager, National Suicide Research Foundation, University College Cork
Ms Eileen Williamson
Executive Director, National Suicide Research Foundation, University College Cork
Ms Anne Fitzpatrick
Business Manager, National Suicide Research Foundation, University College Cork
Ms Emer O’Callaghan
Research Officer Communications and Marketing, National Suicide Research Foundation, University College Cork
Mr Tiernan Hourihan
Research Officer Technical, National Suicide Research Foundation, University College Cork
Mr Niall McTernan
Research Officer, National Suicide Research Foundation, University College Cork
|The project was funded and commissioned by the Health Research Board . We sincerely thank the HRB for their support.
We are very grateful to the National Office for Suicide Prevention for their continued support and collaboration.
Special thanks to Professor Colin Bradley, Dr Eugene Cassidy and Ms Meg O'Gorman who took time to participate in this important project and added valuable input.
- Arensman E, Koburger N, Larkin C, Karwig G, Coffey C, Maxwell M, Harris F, Rummel-Kluge C, van Audenhove C, Sisask M, Alexandrova-Karamanova A, Perez V, Purebl G, Cebria A, Palao D, Costa S, Mark L, Tóth MD, Gecheva M, Ibelshäuser A, Gusmão R, Hegerl U. Depression awareness and self-management through the internet: An internationally standardised approach. JMIR Research Protocols. 4 (3):e99. 2015
- Babor TF, Biddle-Higgins JC, Saunders JB et al.AUDIT: The Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test: Guidelines for Use in Primary Health Care. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization 2001.
- Carroll R, Metcalfe C, Gunnell D (2014) Hospital Presenting Self-Harm and Risk of Fatal and Non-Fatal Repetition: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. PLoS ONE 9(2): e89944
- Central Statistics Office. Vital Statistics Yearly Summary 2015. Retrieved from http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-vsys/vitalstatisticsyearlysummary2015/ [Accessed 5th October 2016]
- College of Psychiatry of Ireland (2011) Referral of People with Depression to the Specialist Mental Health Services Guidance for GPs. A collaborative initiative of the CPsychl/ICGP Forum on Mental Health. Retrieved from: http://www.icgp.ie/go/library/catalogue/item/EEF8334C-5AA8-42B5-A0F090AACB441B41 [Accessed 13th October 2016]
- Corry C, Arensman E, Williamson E. (2016) A study of untimely sudden deaths and people who took their lives while in the care of the Donegal Mental Health Service. The National Suicide Research Foundation
- Dazzi T, Gribble R, Wessely S, Fear NT (2014). Does asking about suicide and related behaviours induce suicidal ideation? What is the evidence? Psychological Medicine 44, 3361–3363.
- Griffin E, Arensman E, Corcoran P, Dillon CB, Williamson E, Perry IJ. National Self-Harm Registry Ireland Annual Report 2014. National Suicide Research Foundation
- Hawton, K., Bergen, H., Kapur, N., Cooper, J., Steeg, S., Ness, J., et al. (2012). Repetition of self-harm and suicide following self-harm in children and adolescents: Findings from the Multicentre Study of Self-harm in England. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 53, 1212–1219
- Hawton K, Witt KG, Taylor Salisbury TL, Arensman E, Gunnell D, Hazell P, Townsend E, van Heeringen K. Pharmacological interventions for self-harm in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015, Issue 7.
- Hawton K, Witt KG, Taylor Salisbury TL, Arensman E, Gunnell D, Hazell P, Townsend E, van Heeringen K. Psychosocial interventions following self-harm in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. The Lancet Psychiatry, Epub, July 2016
- Kroenke K, Spitzer RL, Williams JBW. The PHQ-9: Validity of a Brief Depression Severity Measure.Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2001;16(9):606-613
- Larkin C, Corcoran P, Perry I, Arensman E (2014) Severity of hospital-treated self-cutting and risk of future self-harm: a national registry study, Journal of Mental Health, 23:3, 115-119, DOI: 10.3109/09638237.2013.841867
- Lovibond, S.H. & Lovibond, P.F. (1995). Manual for the Depression Anxiety Stress Scales. (2nd. Ed.) Sydney: Psychology Foundation. ISBN 7334-1423-0.
- Myers, M. F., & Fine, C. (2006). Touched by suicide: Hope and healing after loss. New York: Penguin.
- Myers, M. F., & Fine, C. (2007). Touched by suicide: Bridging the perspectives of survivors and clinicians. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 37, 119–126.
- National Advisory Committee on Drugs (2012) Drug use in Ireland and Northern Ireland 2010/11. Drug Prevalence Survey: Sedatives or Tranquillisers and Anti-depressants Results. Retrieved from: http://www.drugs.ie/resourcesfiles/ResearchDocs/Ireland/2012/N_NACD_bulletin6.pdf [Accessed 13th October 2016]
- O’Connor, 2011. The integrated motivational-volitional model of suicidal behaviour. Crisis, 32 (2011), 295–298.
- Pitman A, Osborn D, King M, Erlangsen A (2014). Effects of suicide bereavement on mental health and suicide risk. Lancet Psychiatry 1, 86–94.
- Posner J, Eilenberg J, Friedman JH, Fullilove MJ. Quality and use of trauma histories obtained from psychiatric outpatients: a ten-year follow-up. Psychiatr Serv.2008 Mar;59(3):318-21.
- Shear MK, Simon N, Wall M, et al. Complicated Grief and Related Bereavement Issues for DSM- 5.Depression and anxiety. 2011;28(2):103-117. doi:10.1002/da.20780.
- Slee N, Garnefski N, van der Leeden R, et al. Cognitive-behavioural intervention for self-harm: randomised controlled trial. Br J Psychiatry 2008; 192:202–11.